Saturday 31 March 2012

SFR Soundsystem 31032012

Back to normal this week after last week's dose of the doldrums caused me to pull my show. I pretty much stuck with last week's playlist but with a few alterations. 

I saw the Selecter this week and they were brilliant so in honour of that I added a 3-in-a-row of Selecter tracks: one of their 2Tone hits in a live version, a track off the Rare album and their wonderful cover of Amy Winehouse's Back to Black. The two Bombskare tracks were sent to me by the band last week and on the strength of this material their new album promises to be an absolute belter. I also played Stop Press!'s new tune. I love this band's fresh and energetic take on ska; their English Life EP is great, here's hoping for more CD's in the not-too-distant future. 

For me though, the highlight of the playlist is Nicky Thomas's live performance of Is It Because I Am Black. The YouTube link is below the playlist - the man is on fire! I've lost count of how many times I've watched that clip. I've got the whole concert as a video, if YouTube ever get round to letting me put videos longer than 30 min's up I'll post it.
  1. Desmond Dekker & the Aces - Reggae Recipe
  2. Bob Marley & the Wailers - Sun Is Shining
  3. Bad Manners - Walking In the Sunshine
  4. The Amphetameanies - The Sun Shines Down
  5. Determinations - Cooked Ska
  6. A.R.T.S. - Afro Freak
  7. Oi Skall Mates - Nutty Sound
  8. Bombskare - Yellow Pages
  9. 1 Stop Experience - Mentally Ska'd
  10. Susan Cadogan - In The Ghetto
  11. Symarip - These Boots Are Made For Walking
  12. Nicky Thomas - Is It Because I Am Black
  13. Roberto Jacketti & the Scooters - Moscow Nights
  14. The Voodoo Trombone Quartet - Voodoo Trombones
  15. Stuck Lucky - Dry Drowning
  16. The Selecter - Too Much Pressure
  17. The Selecter - Madness
  18. The Selecter - Back to Black
  19. Laurel Aitken - Reggae 69
  20. Lee Perry - Soul Man
  21. Stop Press! - Rocksteady Melody
  22. Prince Perry - You Won't Say It
  23. Maddie Ruthless & the Secret Affair - Rudie Blood Pact
  24. Winston Riley - Black out
  25. Skin, Flesh & Bones - Butter Fe Fish
  26. Bombskare - Granton Ska Cause
  27. The Simmertones - Bring Your Love To Me
  28. The Hotknives - David Jones
  29. Dandy - Move Your Mule
  30. The Kingstonians - Sufferer
  31. Roger Rivas - Cold Serenade
  32. Hot Rod All Stars - Skinhead Moondust
  33. Derrick Morgan - Moon Hop
  34. Prince Buster - Cincinnati Kid
  35. The Skatalites - Guns Of Navarone


No comments:

Post a Comment